So…. all good things come to end, right?
NOT THIS ONE Y’ALL!
My husband and I were at Cracker Barrel a couple weeks ago and we discovered…. TO MY HORROR… that they had discontinued their Apple Cider BBQ Chicken! SAY WHAT?!
Well… when a restaurant discontinues my favorites I do not rest until I have figured out how to make something equally delicious at home. So that’s what we did. After tweaking and mashing a few recipes together, this is what I came up with. BETTER than Cracker Barrel Apple Cider BBQ Chicken.
Better than Cracker Barrel Apple Cider BBQ Chicken
- 3 Chicken breasts (halved and tenderized-Makes 6)
- Smokey Mesquite Seasoning
Apple Cranberry BBQ Chutney Sauce
- 1 or 2 Medium Gala Apples (diced)
- 1/8 Cup Sweetened Dried Cranberries
- 3/4 Cup Apple Cider
- 1 TBS Flour
- 2 tsp Worchestershire Sauce
- 1/2 cup Ketchup
- 1/2 cup Packed Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Chili Powder
- Coat a frying pan with oil and heat on medium heat.
- Lightly salt and pepper each side of your chicken breasts, then sprinkle Smokey Mesquite seasoning on each one.
- Place each chicken breast in the pan and cook about 5 minutes on each side, or until internal temp is 165 degrees or higher.
- While chicken is frying, place apple cider in a medium sauce pan on medium heat. Whisk in flour.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until it boils and thickens slightly.
- Throw in the diced apples and dried cranberries. (Alternatively, you can saute these with the chicken! It just depends on whether you want soft warm cooked apples, or a fresh crunch! I prefer cooked, my husband prefers crisp and fresh!)
- Place chicken on individual plates and pour sauce over each chicken breast! Pairs well with biscuits and homestyle Mac & Cheese! ENJOY!